Friday, April 3, 2020

Shooting Day 1

YIKES




I would rate shooting day 1 6/10... I am going to say that I was not as prepared as I SHOULD'VE been. But now because of this I know and I learn as the process goes on. On the good side, it helped me figure out how I am going to physically make this short. It helped me get back on my filming groove. I have not been making too stuff on my own for a while now, so I'm glad I'm back practicing what I like. My mistake for shooting day 1 was my mindset of "I'll figure it out" when I get there. I didn't have in mind that reviewing a script and/or storyboard along with all the factors inside it is essential to making something good. A plan. The good thing is that I'm realizing this as I shoot. I'll be honest, I'm not the most disciplined person. But I am trying and learning. I really want to be better and I am trying to better myself I really am. I will get there!

Anyways... Day 1 of shooting was supposed to be for the first scene of the short film. I wanted to film by location for practicality. My plan was to shoot the scenes of JACK in his room when he wakes up, the kitchen, and him running. A few things had to change however... Since I am going to Gianni's to shoot (very nice of their family to let me in), it is most responsible to shoot in Gianni's room only. They live with someone elderly and I would not be wise for me to be moving around the house. So that means that Jack will have to look at his calendar and drink his coffee in his room. That's fine. Something I didn't figure out (or realize) before shooting was that the objects that Jack pawns should be shown in his bedroom at the beginning, and to be honest I didn't bring the objects with me to his house. So now I'm contemplating whether I should use the objects that are already in his room for him to pawn or if I should just use the objects I was going to use... OR reshoot the whole first scene with the objects in them. However, I don't have much time on me to be doing that. We'll see what happens. Another very wrong thing I did was not charge the camera before shooting... C'mon Mariana... I was just not ready today. I had to wait a couple minutes in the actors room for the camera to charge. On the good side is that my actor is actually an old friend of mine. So we just talked a little before waiting for the camera to charge.


ALSO

I DID NOT REALIZE HOW HARD IT IS TO DIRECT ACTORS. THERE I SAID IT.

I realize that communication is an essential skill that directors NEED in order to successfully project their vision. I was trying my best with Gianni. My intentions were good, and I surprisingly was able to communicate the way I wanted him to act. However, I realize that the fact that I am not physically able to control the actor is frustrating. That means I will have to learn to be a good acting director. I am going to watch some youtube videos on how to communicate better, as I don't think I'm the best with words, but my vision is there... Gianni was great. He was patient and understanding that I am only learning to do this by myself. He really is a good actor. I just have to be more prepared next time, and right after writing this I am going to plan out with more detail! I want to be EXTRA ready for day 2 of shooting. You don't just show up and figure it out. You plan and communicate even before.

Bye ! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment