Saturday, March 14, 2020

Story Outline & Brainstorming

Considering all the current events, I still know I have to keep working on this project regardless. I don't know my exact schedule anymore, but I will continue to develop the story and plan.

I am slightly behind just because it took me a long time to decide how I wanted to tell this story and what route I wanted to take. At first I really wanted my story to be more on the ridiculous side. Not ridiculous as in the the film will be so bad it's ridiculous, but rather having a ridiculous set of characters and events to the point where it's so ironic that is comedic. Witdh that route I would've probably told the story in a way of having the man so desperate for love that he will give away all of his possessions just to have a girl. For the girl, I was planning on making her a gold digger type of gal. After her boyfriend gives all his things away in order to buy her the perfect gift, it turns out her dad owns the pawn shop and she has all his things anyway. This version of my story would've been with a purpose of shining light to people who are in toxic relationships and the negative side of love.

However, I did have another version of the story. Instead of making the characters unlikeable, I would have the story be a positive side of love and relationships. Instead, it would be about how there are people who will do something for the person they love even if their resources say otherwise. It is more about how actions are louder than words. In this version, the boyfriend prioritizes his girlfriend's birthday like no other. His girlfriend tells him that she really wants something for her birthday (I still don't know what she would want, but it would be something very niche and specific). He quickly looks for money but he only finds two crumbled up five dollar bills. He goes out to try and find the object his girlfriend wants. The rest of the story follows him pawning his own items and exchanging things in order to get his girlfriend's gift. Although this version is a more positive side of love and relationships, I am still planning on implementing sort of an exaggerated/ridiculous feel to it. In this version, I want Jack (the boyfriend) to appear unlikeable at first: forgetful, clumsy, and an overreacts a lot. However, as the short film goes on, the audience sees the measures he takes for the girl he loves.

Tina helped me pick which version of the story would go best with my short film and I completely agreed with her, as I was already leaning towards the second version. She explained that a short film is more liberally if the characters are more likable. I agreed with her. One day I will make the first version, but for now I want to make this story heartfelt with a hint of exaggeration.

Here is the thinking process as written in my Google Docs


Outline

Guy and his girl
Wants to buy something for a girl
But doestn have any money
He isnt poor though

Anniversary? March 10th

Opening Scene: He wakes up to a bed full of pictures of her. He loves her. Them together
BEGINNING: Realizing he has to buy gift, face is very expressive, hurries to look for money, doesnt find any.  to buy her something.
MIDDLE: runs past pawn shop, stops to look at it. pawns many items

END: gifts girlfriend present

Different days calendar

Reason for having no money

He wins her over.
 There’s always a way to prove your love to someone.

In the beginning shows him waking up to the day he gives her the gift, shows his empty and poor house, and a nice suit.  Looks really nice. Then when he gives it to her she asks how he got all that, and he remembers what he had to go through to buy the thing. 
He does a whole chain of events that lead him to be able to get the gift for his girlfriend. This version would be more about how much he loves her that he’ll do anything to make her happy, it is not abt the money but abt the love.

Other version would be him, a clueless man who is blidnly in love but he is very dumb and is manipulated by the girl.

Or I mix it and make it ridiculous but he still loves her. 

  1. He has to please his girlfriend and he is anxious for her still loving him, to the point where its ridicuolus and makes him look like a very desperate man with a gold digger girl.

Has very little money and tries to buy something but people tell him its too little. Then he gets angry and decided to pawn all of his items. 
Girl at the end goes home, guy goes home too. Dad has all these new items and shes like oh qhats all this
You get a bad impression of him at first.
He wakes up, he gets anxious abt her birthday. Like its the most important event ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment